• Hi [name], walking is a great type of exercise for people with coronary heart disease – I see you did xxxx steps yesterday. Over the next few days, aim to walk at least 500 steps more a day!
• Hi [name], well done on your activity over the past week! For this week, your goal is to walk for at least 20 min a day. Given your best last week was xxxx steps, this week you should reach xxxx steps a day!
• Hi [name], well done on reaching xxxx steps last week! This week, your aim is to walk 30 min a day everyday. Make it a routine as they benefits will last a lifetime!
• Hi [name], diet is very important in reducing the risk of future heart attacks. Your aim for the week is to try and eat 5 serving of vegetables everyday. Make sure you take photos of your meals so you are accountable for what you are eating!
• Hi [name], making small, healthy changes in the food and drinks that you have can make a big difference. Over the next week can you try and eliminate all soft drinks and junk food. Keep us posted with your electronic food diary!
• Hi [name], did you know that oily fish contains polyunsaturated fat that helps to lower your cholesterol? You should try and have 2–3 serves of fish each week.
• [Name], do you know what causes heart attacks? A heart attack occurs when fatty material (or plaque) inside your coronary arteries ruptures. Blood sticks together over the damaged area forming a clot that stops flow to the heart muscle. If the blockage occurs for a long enough period, heart muscle dies causing a heart attack.
• [Name], did you know it is essential to take your prescribed medications? They will reduce your risk of further heart attacks, strokes and premature death. You should be taking 5 medications for your heart. Check with your doctor if you have any questions about them or if need a new script – suddenly stopping your medications can place you at high risk of further heart attacks.
• [Name], did you know most people can have sex soon after a heart attack? If you can walk up two flights of stairs without getting breathless or having chest pain, you are probably well enough to have sex. If you have any concerns, don’t hesitate to contact your doctor.